- Your On-Line Presence
- SHC Job & Intern Board
- Outcomes of a Spring Hill College Education
- For Students
- Freshman Year
- Sophomore Year
- Make an Appointment
- Writing a Resume
- Writing a Cover Letter
- Writing a Vita
- Internships for Elective Credit
- Creating your Digital Portfolio
- Considering Graduate/Professional School
- Study Abroad Programs
- For Alumni
- For Faculty
- For Employers
- For Parents
- Meet the Staff
- SHC Home
Writing a Cover Letter
Cover letters should accompany resumes when applying for professional positions. Cover letters should be brief, to the point, targeted to a specific opportunity, compelling and well written.
Rules for writing a strong, compelling cover letter:
1) Know the industry and job posting!
2) Target the letter to the specific job posting and industry.
3) Open the letter by addressing why you are interested in the job. (i.e. state what compels you to apply and what interests you about this company, this job, this industry. Tell your story about why they are the place you want to work.
4) Match your relevant skills with the skills they require and request on the job posting.
5) Close by stating how they can reach you.