Now that your site supervisor has provided you with a mid term evaluation, identify a professional skill or quality you need to improve on. Talk about what this is, how you believe it will affect you in a professional setting and how you plan to improve on it in the future.

9 Responses to Reflection Blog #4

1. Breanna Veth says:

After looking over my evaluation I was encouraged and reaffirmed of the quality of work I have been trying to accomplish at my internship. With that being said, I personally feel that overall I could be more assertive and outgoing in the office. Ideas don’t go anywhere unless you voice them. Sometimes people can get overlooked because they do not make themselves noticeable and I do not want to be that person. I believe having more of a presence at the office will open doors and opportunities and if nothing else will help my self-confidence. Besides that I feel that I just need to keep on doing what I have been doing.

2. Kathryn Renik says:

I feel confident in my abilities after receiving my evaluation, but I feel similarly that I need to be more outgoing and that I also need to improve my communication skills. I find that I struggle remembering names of people that I recognize which is extremely frustrating when they ask me to leave a message for my supervisor and I have to ask them once again to tell me their names. I also feel as though there are many tasks that we work on as interns that could be much easier and more efficient for both myself and the office if they were organized differently, and I am now beginning to see that it is necessary for me to suggest changes in these situations since my supervisor doesn’t see the work until the product is finished and often shares the same ideas for improvement.

3. Lindsay Graham says:

My mid-term evaluation gave me positive feedback and reinforced the confidence I have in my work. The only negative was my professional style, but that was more a matter of miscommunication and I have already improved that. However, I personally feel that I need to become more outgoing. It is very easy for me to just focus on my work and exclude myself from others. I need to interact more with others and speak up when I have an opinion. This could affect my ability to obtain a job in event planning because you have to be outgoing and have good communication skills. I plan to start interacting more with the employees at my internship and start sharing my opinion on how certain projects should be done.

4. Anthony Harris says:

I’ve taken a good, hard look at my mid-term evalutation and nothing sticks out to me more than my evident lack of knowledge regarding technical terms and concepts. Indeed, since I began working with Phelps Dunbar, I’ve been bombarded with a whole lexicon of new words and definitions – most of which can only be explained using even more unfamiliar terminology! This isn’t at all overwhelming (in fact, I think a young intern should expect as much in a professional environment), but surely it’s a genuine disadvantage on my part. Despite the fact that I’ve picked up oodles of attorney jargon since I began working here at Phelps, I clearly see the need to expand my legal knowledge and cultivate a working, professional vocabulary. Seeing as a courtroom trial is essentially a war with words, I can imagine that the practice of law without a healthy vocabulary would be as challenging as fighting off Viet Kong footsoldiers with a slingshot. My focus from now on, then, will be to weild an arsenal of terms and skills, ultimately making me into the formidible courtroom competitor I ought to be.

5. Anna Boggs says:

After seeing my evaluation I feel that over these past few months, I am treated more like an employee then an intern. From the very beginning I have been so eager to learn the ins and outs of the industry that I was able to pick up the skills to make sales and run the store quickly. Because of this, they feel confidant enough in me to call whenever there is a rush in the boutique or if they have scheduling problems and need me to cover someone’s appointments. Though I would love to get as many hours and as much experience as possible, it is hard to juggle working, school, and various extracurricular activities.

6. Breanna Veth says:

I agree with Kathryn when she say that “it is necessary for me to suggest changes in [certain] situations since my supervisor doesn’t see the work until the product is finished”. This is something that has crossed my mind but I havent really given a lot of thought. There are things I do that no one else really thinks about that could be greatly improved upon, but won’t be unless I speak up.

7. Lindsay Graham says:

In response to Breanna Veth comment:

I agree with Breanna, that it is necessary to be more assertive and outgoing in the office. I personally struggle with being outgoing and feel that if I do not become more assertive, I will not benefit from my internship. In a career setting, if you plan to advance in your company then you have to be noticed and show initiative. Therefore, being assertive and outgoing is essential to anyones career.

8. Autumn McCorvey says:

In response to Anthony Harris submission:

I agree in that a healthy vocabulary is very essential to a legal career as well as any other profession. I too had to adapt the the new set of legal vocabulary in the courtroom and when talking to other attorneys and judges. Luckily, my adviser and the other people at the US District Court were very willing to help me with the different terminology and concepts that came up during trial.

9. Anthony Harris says:

In response to Anna:

I totally felt like an employee at my firm also. Of course, they weren’t calling on me to handle their business for them, but they sent me to so many different places to be around other professionals! Eventually I felt like some sort of representative for the firm. I was meeting lawyers and judges from all over town and even beginning to make something of a name for myself. I was a regular in the district courtroom and I’m sure that, at some point, damn near every lawyer in the area knew my face.