Identify the most significant thing you have learned about the profession since beginning your internship. Talk about what that is, how you feel about this new found knowledge and how you think it will effect your professional choices in future endeavors.

9 Responses to Reflection Blog #3

1. Bonique Turner says:

I have honestly learned that becoming a financial advisor is not something I would consider pursuing. It is an extremely cut-throat career. There is not much stability in the career. While commission may sound good to a certain extent, the cold calling is not for me. I always thought of a financial advisor as someone who loves helping others succeed in life. I have learned that not only must you desire to help others financially, you must have a strong passion for competition. Personally, I would much rather working by the hour or even salary.

2. Breanna Veth says:

I have learned that I would rather be in the more creative side of Business than Communication. In the office I intern with there is a whole organization run from one little building so I am constantly surrounded by all aspects that a business includes. I have realized that I am more drawn to the event planning and organization side than anything else. I have always felt that this is what I would most enjoy doing but it feels good to put the idea to the test. This will help direct where I go and what job I choose in the future

3. Holly Shultis says:

I’ve always known that sales was not for me. Luckily my position at NYL involves selling the people that are selling the product. Helping their image and pushing their presence further in the community through web site development and assisting them in other odd jobs such as joining a BNI chapter as I helped one agent with. I enjoy the job of promoting the agents rather than the product, because no cold calling or persuasive communication is involved (besides through advertisements). I’ve learned however that if push comes to shove, I could do the job of a NYL agent if I was left with no other options, and I could be successful at it. Because as demonstrated by the other agents, in their business you get out of it what you put into it. So even if you not necessarily a natural, hard work will definitely be rewarded in a business like sales.

4. Anthony Harris says:

The most profound observation I’ve made since beginning this internship is that the purpose of practicing law has little actually to do with individual firms winning cases for individual clients. Sure, that’s where the bulk of the action in law is focused, but there is a broader picture to be seen. Litigation is all about the creation of law tradition, the establishment of procedures which can be regularly and uniformly applied. When a lawyer makes an argument interpreting a particular statute, he thereby adds to the realm of possible applications of that statute. Lawyers from then on will be able to refer to his work, apply his reasoning to similar cases, and advance the application of a statute even further. By this process, the legal system evolves and becomes more complete and the entire legal community benefits from it. The most fascinating thing about the practice of law is the way it uses language to transform real-world happenings into algorithmic, calculable arguments. The more the legal system matures, the better it will become at reacting to and resolving those arguments so that, ultimately, we can design a model of justice that issues a fair and proper settlement to all cases.

5. Lindsay Graham says:

The most significant thing I have learned about event planning is that it is a very time consuming job. Especially if you work for the headquarters of an organization, such as Distinguished Young Women. Not only are they in charge of all aspects of the National pageant, but they are also responsible for helping and organizing the volunteers for all state pageant programs. Most states have representatives that take care of most of the state pageants, but a few states do not have offices and so headquarters are responsible for all aspects of those pageants as well.
    I have also noticed that all the work on an event is not over once the event has occurred. You sometimes have follow up work. Such as when we had a workshop for all the state representatives, there was snow storms and some people missed their flight. We had to pack all the papers and packets to mail to those representatives. Headquarters also had to have a conference call with all the representatives that missed the workshops, so that they could teach them all the new organizational operations.
    Learning this has further enforced my decision to start my career as a wedding planner, and then after gaining experience move into organizational event planning. While there are still many details in planning a wedding and they can be time consuming, it is on a much smaller scale. I feel that wedding planning would be a good place to start my career and give me positive experience that would benefit me in future jobs.

6. Kathryn Renik says:

I found that being a lawyer is nothing what I expected. I’m sure it differs from firm to firm as well as within the different branches of law, but from my experience at DRC I am positive that I don’t want to focus in business law at an in-house legal department. I am enjoying my time at DRC, but they strongly lack variety in their day to day work, and they have been working on one case for about ten years. I have also learned that there is an immense amount that goes into a single trial, and that a lot of the preparations can be kind of dull, especially at the experience level of an intern. This experience definitely won’t dissuade me from pursing a career in law, but it has helped me to have more realistic expectations and a better focus of what type of law I would like to practice.

7. Anna Boggs says:

Since being an intern at a privately owned bridal boutique, I have learned that their reputation not only relies on their vendors, but also on customer service. Generally, each of the customers entering the shop are there on account of a happy occasion which makes the working environment pleasant. Like all businesses, this industry revolves around deadlines which can be stressful since many customers tend to be last minute. It’s crucial to keep the clients happy and be accommodating to all of their needs. Since the boutique is relatively new (3 yrs) a major portion of their business comes via word of mouth;maintaining a positive image is a necessity. Though I have thoroughly enjoyed working on the retail end of the industry, I feel as though I am better suited for sales on the vendor side of the market. Working directly for the fashion house and selling to boutiques, speciality, and department stores is ideally what I would be the most interested in.

8. Cody Walker says:

The one thing I have noticed since working here is the competitive nature that ports maintain at all times knowing time is money. Along with that, there are constantly people finding ways to get more imports to come through the port. With that, everyone is on there toes at all times. This process is entertaining to be a part of and I am very glad I can help contribute to this effort.

9. Mamie Jaynes says:

In response to Anthony Harris:

I’ve made a similar observation to Anthony in that the practice of law is less about winning case and more about shaping the law and setting precedents. I was also under the assumption that the judge relies solely on the evidence and the lawyer’s ability to argue their case but there is much more that goes into their decision. And that the judge reserves the right to accept or reject suggestions from the prosecution and defense. The law is not as concrete as I once believe but is fluid and can be molded and interpreted as the judge see fit.