Describe your internship including the type of environment, your daily responsibilities, the organization, who or what it serves, is the job what you expected? What type of orientation did you receive? Talk about the people of your organization. Is it team focused or more competitive? How do people work with one another? How does the supervisor manage his/her workers? How do you fit into the organization?

11 Responses to Reflection Blog #1

1. Bonique Turner says:

I am interning at Waddell and Reed Financial Services. It is a financial advising company that offers full service financial planning for its clients. I actually began my internship with them in December 2010, immediately following the Fall semester. The internship is your typical office environment with a receptionist at the door and six advisor offices down the hall. Before actually beginning interning, I was interviewed as a new employee. An interactive video was presented to me before I was able to see the manager. I was not told exactly what I would be doing at the time, but I figured it would be an interesting experience regardless. I had to be fingerprinted along with an extensive background check before I could actually begin the internship.I was given the video that I was presented at the interview along with a brochure of the company, explaining the culture of the organization, the benefits of working with them, and some of the actual products sold. When I began my internship with Waddell and Reed, I was working with the manager at the time along with her receptionist. Recently, the manager was fired which left me with the receptionist, Linda Rowell. I love Linda’s attitude about her job. The relationship between her and the manager was amazing. They were almost like best friends. They were the only women in the office at the time, until they welcomed me in their home. I currently spend most of my time under Linda. My job is to recruit advisors to the office. At first, it was slightly complicated to sell a company that I knew little about, but Linda has helped me a great deal. The day after the manager was laid off, the district manager came to visit the office. I loved having him visit. He told me how he assisted his interns in his office and showed me how to obtain better responses through properly sorting through resumes. He has taught me exactly what to look for in each resumes. Honestly, the internship is not exactly what I expected, but I do appreciate their efforts during a complicated time in their office. I thought the internship would have been more hands on with advisors and seeing exactly how they go about assisting their clients. While I have not had that privilege, Linda and Ray ( the district manager) have done a great job of explaining a financial advisor’s job at their office. I’ve actually learned plenty about the job by calling resumes. I learn by the questions I am asked by the people I am calling. When there is a question that I do not know the answer to, the other advisors and Linda assist me in properly answering the questions. I do enjoy working for Waddell and Reed. The advisors are friendly and extremely helpful to myself and each other. I am interested in seeing how Waddell and Reed grows in the future.

2. Lindsay Graham says:

I am interning at Distinguished Young Woman, formally America’s Junior Miss. It is the central office for all the state offices. They handle to website, advertising/marketing, and event planning. They assist with state program development and managing volunteers across the nation. I am more involved in the event planning. Currently I have been getting things organized for the State Chairman workshop such as information packets and changing logos to match the new name of the organization. I am also planning a mardi gras themed dinner party. The office is well organized and therefore the environment is very relaxed but focused. It is a nonprofit organization so there is not much competition. I mainly work with the field director, Mrs. Nicole; however the office works in a team effort. So far the job is what I expected it to be, I do hope that I am able to get more involved in the spreadsheet and booking all aspects of the events. I feel that I fit well with the organization. I get along with all the employees and I enjoy the work that I have done thus far.

3. Holly Shultis says:

So far my internship has been a lot of fun. My first project is to create bios of each agent to put on the NYL website. Word around the office has spread that I am working on the website, so a lot of employees have been coming to me with their computer/technical questions. So far I have been able to help them and I feel needed at NYL life because of this role, versus just filing papers. Also my boss David has entrusted a lot of responsibility with me and trusts me to make good decisions. It is nice to experience things where I am calling the shots, checking in with David along the way of course. NYL is definitely individually based, but everyone gets along and loves to have a good time with each other. They are a fun, energetic, young group, and you have to be when you’re in sales. David leaves his employees to handle their own business, but gives them the tools to succeed. So far it has been a positive experience.

4. John Freeman says:

At DRC, Inc., a disaster relief contracting company, my job as an intern is with their in-house legal department. Over the past week my main objective was to download and organize legal documents needed in a case against the U.S. government, where DRC is the defendant. The U.S. government claims that DRC owes them money, and DRC claims that the U.S. government owes them money. Over the past ten years since DRC has been fighting this case, a large amount of court documents have accumulated. My job is to organize each document with a computer program called Case Map. DRC constantly battles in court, so an entire legal team is needed. All the employees are pretty engaged in what they are doing and are mainly quiet and concentrated, but nevertheless they are lively and helpful when I have questions. I did not receive too much of an orientation other than meeting people and learning the software, but I seem to be learning something new every day. The entire legal team works really well together. They mostly communicate face-to-face, so a lot of people come in and out of the office that I get to meet. Everyone seems very knowledgeable, and they work well independently and as well as a team. They help each other out with numerous cases even if they are not working on it at the time. All in all the people I am surrounded by are very helpful and willing to help every individual, including myself. I have not had a chance to meet the main lawyer because he is either in court or with clients, but hopefully I will meet him soon. I was told that they might take me to court one day so I might see him there. Overall the internship is going well. I went in to it blindly and at the last minute, so the job has exceeded my expectations. I am comfortable and busy, so I do not have any complaints.

5. Breanna Veth says:

I am interning with Distinguished Young Women at their National Office. It is the main office for the organization and the head of all the state and local programs. The paid staff of the organization is small, only five, but there are tons of volunteers that give assistance on all levels. The environment in the office is very friendly and relaxed but the ladies are also well-focused and productive and work together as a team. They utilize their resources, including each other, very well. At the office, I am working under the communications director, Stephanie, doing various tasks and activities that assist her responsibilities. I did not receive much of an orientation but I also feel there wasn’t really the need for one. The internship is pretty much what I expected but on the other hand I am excited to start getting more involved and have more in-depth projects. I do not have much contact with the supervisor but she is very friendly and driven. She keeps the team on track and on task. One way of doing this is through weekly breakfast meetings to discuss the organization’s current focus and goals. Overall I feel I fit in well at the office and enjoy all of the employees. I am excited for the internship to progress!

6. Anthony Harris says:

Hey everyone, I intern at a law firm in the downtown Mobile area. The firm, Phelps-Dunbar LLP, is located in a swanky two-story office building on the corner of Dauphin and Royal streets, just next door to the Battle House. Phelps-Dunbar is an international firm with offices stationed everywhere from Florida to Texas and even in London, so they represent an array of diverse clientele. The part I play in all this is minimal, but my work usually includes things like proofreading, creating outlines of large bodies of writing, and browsing documents for important information. On Fridays, I attend motion docket, a convention of local legal groups that serves as a precursor to the formal trial process. Lawyers from around town gather to have their case put on the court’s schedule of motions to be heard and I sit and watch as they present their cases, debate, and come to a decision.

As for an orientation, mine was pleasantly informal. I met with my correspondent there and we toured the office together socializing with attorneys and other staff, occaisionally snooping into the snack room and checking for leftover donuts. Everyone was receptive and friendly, yet notably professional. Most of my work is done alone in the firm’s library, so I don’t interact with my coworkers frequently, per se. Nonetheless, I’m always glad to bump into one of them in the break room over some coffee. The firm is constantly buzzing with clients and employees who all seem to work smoothly together. I’ve met with everyone from tech support professionals to office managers (at least one of whom is an SHC alum!) and they always appear busy and cheerful. I haven’t yet been at Phelps-Dunbar for very long, but already it shows the promise of being an eventful and beneficial internship experience.

7. Kathryn Renik says:

My internship is also in the legal department of DRC Emergency Services, Inc, a disaster relief organization, located near the Art Museum. The outside appears a little rough and intimidating, but upon entering the view is entirely different including a beautiful board room that is decorated with antique maps. The case we are working on is a little tedious since there is about ten years worth of information that we are downloading and organizing into casemap, but I feel like I am getting tons of experience working with different documents that are involved in business law cases. Since the case involves three parties, I am learning to see the difference in government issued documents as compared to our firm, and the difference in the documents issued by USAID and the Honduran Government.

DRC employees are very interactive and open with one another. The employees in both the legal department and the business side of DRC consult with one another on a daily basis. Since the office is small there is always someone in and out of our work area, and the staff is extremely friendly and always stop in to chat as they pass through the hallways. The office is much more laid back than I expected, and I was really impressed that our supervisor who is in her first year after the bar works closely with the my experienced lawyers at the firm. Meg, our supervisor, is extremely helpful and as a Spring Hill Alum she is very excited to introduce us to everyone at DRC. Kip, the head lawyer, is very mobile throughout his department and divides up work among his employees to give them experience with new aspects of their cases. Today he reviewed a few wills written by Meg and explained the general points of them to me as he worked through them. Orientation was fairly brief and consisted mainly of an introduction to pacer and casemap, as well as a briefing of the case the we would be working on. I also received a tour of the facility and met the staff individually throughout the morning. I think DRC is a great fit for me. The environment is casual but very productive, and I think I will greatly benefit from this experience.

8. Cody Walker says:

My internship is at the Alabama State Port Authority. I work at the port downtown. It’s been a very exciting experience since I am an international business major. This port is something many people pass every day without ever knowing its complexity. Upon ariving for my internship, I was given many tours of the port in order to learn some of the lingo and purposes for its existance. My boss is a very kind man who was upfront and open minded from the get go. His goal at all times is to keep imports and exports going through the Port of Mobile and to try and bring more business through as well. The interns primarily work with a program called Zepol online which keeps records of everythings being exported and imported everywhere in the US. The interns usually are putting together spreadsheets that show imports or exports going through places and the amount of time they take, give them to our boss so he can the show them to potential clients and have hard evidence of why it would be beneficial to bring said example through Mobile. Everyone here is quite friendly and since we are doing “project management” everyone is always working very well together. It is a very competitive environment since the Port of Mobile is always trying to get business from other ports. The main project right now is being called the The Gulf Coast Advantage. With increases about to take place with the Panama Canal, the ports of Tampa, Mobile and Houston are trying to bring more Asian trade through the Gulf. I fit well into the organization and am enjoying/benefiting from this experience.

9. Anna Boggs says:

This semester I am interning at “Something New,” a bridal boutique located on Old Shell road. I work directly under the co-owners of the shop and alongside two sales consultants. The upscale inventory and clientele make for a very professional environment yet the occasion that brings in the customers allows for the atmosphere to be emotionally exciting. Though the two owners work on the floor and make sales along with the other sales consultants, they also go to market and hand pick which dresses they feel will sell best in the market they are providing for. It is also their responsibility to push the inventory to make room for new stock.
    “Something New” is the only premiere bridal salon in the mobile area and therefore does not have any nearby competition. Brides from all over the gulf coast travel to the boutique to find their dream dress.My basic day-to-day duties involve straightening the show rooms and making sure that all of the gowns are steamed, and spaced to perfection. When there are appointments it is my job to escort the brides around the boutique and inform them about each designer and their price points. After the bride specifies what she is looking for in a dress, I do my best to pull dresses to match her taste and then assist her in the dressing room. While I dress the brides and then present them to their viewing party, the sales consultants survey the bride’s expressions to see if it is possible to sell her on that particular dress, or to move on to the next. Since I just started, I have been listening closely to their tips and ways in which they make sales so that hopefully I will be able to make a sale on my own by the end of my internship.

10. Autumn McCorvey says:

This semester, I am interning, along with Mamie Jaynes :) , with Judge Sonja Bivins, US Magistrate Judge at the Federal Courthouse downtown. With the judge, we are learning crucial legal skills that will help us later in life if we decide to pursue a legal career. We also work alongside Ms. Taylor Barr (Judge Bivins’ Term Clerk) and Ms. Danielle Dillard (Judge Bivins’ Career Clerk). They draft legal opinions, research, and help manage her criminal and civil case dockets. As a term clerk, Taylor’s position is only for one year unless she is rehired again by the judge. Here at the federal courthouse, only certain cases are heard by the Magistrate and District judges. Those cases include issues where the Federal Question Jurisdiction is applied. That means any case involving a federal law, disputes between states, crimes committed on federal property, habeas corpus actions, etc. As an intern, we do a lot of observing (during hearings), case briefs and other miscellaneous tasks. Our environment is much more relaxed and focused than most. In the judge’s chambers, it is VERY quiet. Everyone has a specific task to work on and complete to help with the hearings on the docket. Here at the courthouse, everyone is like a BIG family. Everyone here has been working there for 15+ years and know each other on a first name basis. When Mamie and I began our internship, it took awhile for everyone to recognize our faces but now, we have been adopted into their family as well. The people here have truly made our experience enjoyable and unforgettable.

11. Mamie Jaynes says:

I am interning, along side Autumn McCorvey, for Federal Magistrate Judge Sonja Bivins at the Federal Court House downtown. Judge Bivins is a judge for the southern district of Alabama withing the 11th circuit which includes the states of Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. Within the Judges chambers are two clerks that work for the Judge, one term clerk, Taylor Barr and one career clerk Danielle Dillard. These two clerks are responsible for case briefs, legal research, drafting legal opinions and managing civil and criminal case dockets for the Judge. These two clerks work in conjunction to provide the Judge with pertinent information for the cases she will hear.Inside the court room the Judge also has a clerk that calls the court to order, handles any administrative paper work, as well as other miscellaneous duties. During our internship we will learn valuable legal skills to aid us in our future years as law students and provide us with an advantage of finding future careers in the legal field. Our duties include writing case briefs and observing court proceedings. We will see first hand what goes on in a court room and how public defenders interact with their clients and how the prosecutors represent the federal government.

Working at the Court house is not really what I expected. Within the Judge’s chambers the atmosphere is extremely quite but relaxed. Each person has their task that she is to complete to aid the Judge. Within the court house it is very much like a family. All of the clerks, Marshals, Judges and other staff know each other quite well and are warm in greeting each other. The attorneys all seem to know each other fairly well and seem to be friendly with each other also. Its nothing like Law and Order or Perry Mason as one of the other clerks suggested to Autumn and I on the first day. By the end of my internship here I hope to gain a better perspective how the law works and determine if this is what I would really like to do as a career.