15 Responses to Blog #3

1. Hannah Mulvey says:

While interning at Sandifer Financial Raymond James, I have learned how important it is to be personable in the financial world. I have also learned how much the little things count. The financial adviser that I work for, takes the time every month to sit and write birthday cards to all of his clients with a birthday that month. Little things like that may seem unimportant, but I have learned that things like that build a relationship between the client and the adviser that is very important. In the finance industry, the clients are putting their trust in the adviser to make decisions with their money and retirement plans. This trust does is difficult to form, but by forming a relationship with clients, it comes easier. I have learned so much at Raymond James and I can’t wait to learn more.

2. Lindsay Nadeau says:

The most significant thing that I have learned about the legal profession is the attention to detail that is needed. Each client has a file that has to contain certain documents, in a certain order. A large part of what I do is copying items to send out to clients and making sure that the original remains in their file. It is necessary to keep some types of documents on the left side and other types on the right. I also arrange my supervisor’s files at least once a week because she usually does not have the time to put everything up properly and just throws the files back on top. I now know that it is important to keep things organized very well so that files and paperwork can be found quickly. Sometimes there is a rush to get a document mailed out and we cannot spend time trying to find it. If I go on to pursue law this is something that I will remember.
    Another thing that I have learned while working at Legal Services of Alabama is that there are so many people who need help but because of cost of time restraints get turned down. One job that I do frequently is to look through all of the files and if the client has not returned any paperwork or communicated with their lawyer in two months or more, I close the file. This requires me to type a special letter explaining why their file is being closed and to tell the client what other options they have. I also have to send them additional paperwork so if they have a complaint they can file it. This has taught me a lot about the legal profession as well. In the future I will remember to volunteer as much time as I can to nonprofit organizations and do plenty of pro bono work to help with the large amount of legal work that cannot be paid for.

3. Andrea Hicks says:

The most significant thing that I have learned about the profession at my intern is how much work is involved behind the scenes of the scholarship program. There is so many fundraisers and events that go into account in order to raise the maximum amount for the participants that are involved. It amazes me how much the community is willing to contribute to the program and how much they stand behind and believe in the girls. Along with all the events goes the preparation and planning for the events both before and after the events. First you must think of an inventive way to get the community involved so that they will attend and enjoy your occasion. Next you have to set it up and promote to a wide audience and get as many people as possible to take part in it. Then you have to deal with all kinds of unexpected occurrences to make sure your event runs as smoothly as possible. Lastly after everything is all finished you must thank and show your appreciation to all the people that were involved so that they are more likely to attend another event in the future. After seeing how much work has to be accomplished and how important teamwork is I have a new found respect for the people at my intern because they are constantly on the move and always working hard. It also showed me that it is alright to ask for help and that jobs that are team based are more fun and rewarding environments to be in. it also taught me to be more careful when I am working and to pay close attention to details so that I can make the least amount of mistakes as possible so that my job is easier and I don’t have to do things over which is extremely important since there is so much work to be done every day. Do for my future endeavors in the professional world I hope to work at a job with team based activities.

4. Megan Powe says:

I have rotated to my second location for Cogburn Health and Rehabilitation Centers to Cogburn Midtown, where I have begun to learn a lot more about the roles of administration in geriatrics. Recently I have been working with the admissions staff at Cogburn Midtown, and the most significant thing I have learned is that you have to possess a great deal of care for your job. The admissions staff works with recruiting and admitting new residents, re-admitting residents as they need to come back from a hospital stay, and dealing with various issues that arise as families leave their loved ones in the care of the Cogburn staff. The admissions staff develops a personal relationship with each of the residents and they know all the residents by name. It takes a great deal of devotion for a nurse or doctor to care for the nursing home residents, but it says a lot about the Cogburn staff when the administration office staff know each resident personally, especially since they don’t see the residents every day. My very first day at the Midtown location one of the residents requested the presence of the president/administrator. I was very touched when he left his office and sat on the floor beside the residents’ wheelchair to have a personal conversation. This conversation was not easy because the resident is very old and she has a severe case of Parkinson’s disease and she cannot speak very well. The administrator spent about 30 minutes with the resident trying to understand her in what could have been a 5 minute conversation with anybody else. I am very impressed with the amount of attention that the Cogburn Midtown staff pay to their jobs and their residents.

5. Chelsea S. Mack says:

The internship that I work for is a non-profit organization and that should tell it all because we depend on others to be a success. However, the most significant thing I’ve learned is that it’s a lot of hard work working for a non-profit. This is my second internship working for a non-profit organization, I must be cursed to them or something!lol I have no new found knowledge about what I’ve been doing here at WHIL; however, I do realize that it takes a lot of people skills and commitment to work for non-profits. From research, it shows employeees who work for non-profits get paid less than agencies, companies, or corporate offices so that shows they must really LOVE what their doing. To add, that is what I really love most of all from non-profits because it’s never about the money with them and never more than 4 people working in a laid-back enviroment. They are working with people who don’t have to doing what they are doing. Therefore, that means these non-profits are taking time out to participate with volunteers( who by definition do what they do WILLINGLY not IMPERATIVELY) to help others out. That shows me dedication and appreciation to non-profits but I do know for my future endeavors I don’t want to continue in non-profits but it’s still good to get the experience here thus far.

6. Blair Boudreaux says:

My internship at the Museum of Mobile is a very independent experience. I work alone on a specific project every day that I’m there. I have therefore learned that in the profession of museum studies, one must understand and accept the responsibility of working alone, and often. I have also learned not exactly from my experience, but from my observation of my supervisor, how demanding working in a museum is. Finding, researching, setting up, and being responsible for exhibits is very difficult and time consuming. Thus someone working in museum studies must be reliable and flexible. This internship is not what I thought it would be, and from what I’ve learned, working in museums can be quite lonely and exhausting. I am a social being that thrives on personal relationships and teamwork, thus when considering my future profession, I doubt that I will be interested in working in small museums like the Museum of Mobile.

7. mary keller says:

To work at the Spring Hill College Alumni office means coming in with an open mind and ready for new experiences. Each day is different yet being adaptable to situations is key. Events are considently being created and implement therefore one needs to roll with what ever is presented to you on that day. Since being there, I have done everything from sitting at a printing watching things be printed to writing an article for the partent newsletter, searching for pictures of retiring professors and stuffing goodie bags.

8. Melanie Kammerer says:

I would have to say that the most significant thing I have learned through the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is the importance of empathy. All of the events held have an “honored hero”, or a current patient that the event is held in honor of. Part of my duties is to get the information from the patient and their family for a biography to be printed both in the event program as well as mailed to each participant. Recently we held the 7th Annual Leukemia Cup Regatta here in Mobile. There was a silent auction, live auction, and Calcutta involved as well as the race itself. The common thread through all events, whether the regatta, cocktail donations or community walks is the true appreciation from patients and their families who speak at the events, and the compassion of those who have donated or participated. When attempting to recruit donations, donors, and volunteers, there would be no way to make it possible without truly relaying how important their help is to not only the society but to the patient for that event. The people involved with the society are truly amazing, reaching out to neighbors to help raise money for strangers. The one thing that I will never forget is to remember the patients and their families, because no matter how bad of a day we may have it’s better than going through chemotherapy.

9. Hayley Sheffield says:

The most significant thing I have learned about working with a non-profit group like the The Family Center is that your job is never over. Although the director of the agency only works during the week and has the weekends off, the agency is not closed on the weekends. They do visits and exchanges 7 days a week, which means that the contractors that the director hires can work all 7 days of the week if needed. Many of the contractors The Family Center use are licensed social workers who also work for another agency or for the Department of Human Resources. They do not have a 9-5 schedule, Monday thru Friday. Instead, they work around the clock. I do not know if I necessarily like this. I do want to be realistic in knowing that I might not get a job when I first start out, or I may never get a job, that has the perfect hours. However, in knowing that in the future my children will be very important to me, I do not want a job that will require me to be away from them a lot. I do not want to go into a profession that I never know what hours I will be working. It seems to me that I never realized how important the hours of a job are. I’m okay with putting in lots of hours while I am young and unattached, but I do know, when planning for my future and taking into consideration my career, I do not want one in which I can be called at any time, any day. I would like a career that, for the most part, the hours are fairly set.

10. Alyse Granier says:

I have learned the importance of relationships in business. Relationships make or break a business. Just providing good customer service and meeting your consumers’ expectations isn’t enough. Jan Osmon, my manager and supervisor, works wonderfully with people. She doesn’t just greet them like a stranger off the street. No matter who you are Jan sees each individual who walks into her door as special and caters to each person’s request as something unique that deserves her deepest consideration. She makes our customers feel like they’re the only ones in the room and that nothing is too far off to create or find in our resources.

To be a good business owner, not only do you have to be outgoing, down-to-earth and respectful. You have to reach in deeper to form a personal relationship and establish a connection with the customer as a person. Jan hits people’s motives, interests and desires. She talks to store visitors about their family, asks questions that root at establishing a common interest. Jan keeps a mental catalogue of the people who have entered her store over the years and although you may have ordered your wedding invitations from Gwin’s ten years ago from Jan, you can walk into the store a decade later and she’ll remember your name, pull out your file and ask how your mother has been doing since her surgery. I am so impressed when I watch her work with people. And I’ve learned so much by growing in my own relationships with customers I meet. It makes the job a much more enriching experience for me and for each special person that walks into our door. That’s ‘how you build good customer relationships 101′.

11. Jade Cunningham says:

By interning at the South Alabama Regional Planning Commission, I have learned a multitude of valuable. By far, the most significant thing that I have learned about the Planning profession is that it encompasses such a large variety of community aspects. Not only do planners have to take into account the people in the community. The also have to take into consideration certain physical guidelines, grant writing, politics. This broad range of knowledge is most definitely something that would be necessary in all fields, not just planning. It encourages me to try to learn and soak up as much as I can to keep up with such a demanding job. It would be beneficial for me to take this into consideration my educational career at Spring Hill, in graduate school, and life in general. By being this open to education, it will positively effect my professional choices because being an efficient and knowledgeable employee is how people make advances in their careers.

12. Chelsea Mack says:

I can relate to Andrea Hicks when it comes to scholarship and fundraising activities because of working with non-profit organizations. Also, I worked at the same intern, AJM headquarters in the summer of 2009! I believe I want to work in a team-based enviroment instead of an independent work because of my major, Communications. I want to be involved with my co-workers and build relationships instead of being solo. I want to work in non-profits as my entry-level position after graduating; however, I want to pursue my career in the music industry. I plan to do similar activities as Andrea such as organizing and planning events but for music artist and record label companies. Also, I want to have that professional manner that Andrea is starting to build by being around other professionals and seeing that it takes a lot of hard work and commitment to stay in the forefront.

13. Blair Boudreaux says:

I have thought about persuing a career in law, and reading about Lindsey Nadeau’s experience has been very informative. Knowing specifics about working in a legal profession is good to know because it’s the little details about jobs that can make or break the experience. It seems as though you’ve really learned alot and will take so much away from this internship, Lindsey!

14. Megan Powe says:

In response to Hayley’s blog, being available around the clock is definitely something to consider when you are choosing your career. At my internship, I have noticed that when the Administration Office closes, each person in the office rotates the duty of being “administrator on call.” This would be easier to deal with especially if you have a family and you can plan around your “on call” weekend. But with any job you work, your work is never done and you will always end up bringing things home that need to be done.

15. Jess Gouldthorpe says:

I agree with Alyse, realtionships are really important in business. When providing art to the public, you are establishing a different kind of relationship. Exbhibits, classes, and outreach programs bring all types of people around, and I like this because the public is getting involved with a common activity but also with each other. It is important that you are interactive and genuine with the guests that come through the gallery becasue you want to keep them coming back and involved with the art community. I have also found that is vital to have great relationships with your employees even though things can get competitive because the business is a group effort and only in collaboration of everyone’s effort can it be ran successfully.